Shade Garden Project Before and After



     This time last year I began a project I had thought about all winter.  I had a tricky landscaping area under the deck. No grass grew there and it was an eyesore for backyard parties.  It was a very dry shady area creating a plant selection challenge. When I got my ideas organized and made the decision, I consulted my family to procure the necessary physical help I would need. It was labeled my "Mother's Day Project" because the right time for such a project seemed to be best for spring. We got to work in April and finished in May. My first step was to use a garden hose to line the edge for the outline of the border. We then scraped up all the sand, sifted it from the landscaping river rock, and saved them for later use. We put down a sand base and then weed barrier on top of the sand.  We added cotton seed hull mulch and red bark mulch. Next step was to try to lighten the shady area by adding some color and excitement. We created a garden path for the kids to water and help tend the growing plants. Doing this has allowed the Grandkids to help maintain our little garden and make them feel it is their special place. The landscaping and plant selection was surprisingly easy because I used concepts and plant lists I had learned from my Reno County Master Gardener classes.

We added a hammock for a shady place to read, or a lazy summer afternoon nap. The calming water feature made it a leisurely and delightful place to be all times of the day. 
List of plants used: Hostas (from the local Horticulture Club plant sale always in late April at Dillon Nature Center), Fuchia, Jacob’s coat, Coral Bells ( Huerchera), Coleus (for color, propagated by a master gardener),  hanging baskets, ferns, tuberous begonias, yellow & pink begonias, big leaf begonia, geraniums, (my favorite were the Martha Washington geraniums), and Caladium bulbs (planted Easter). After deciding my bright & colorful plant selections, I went to work selecting colorful garden pots and containers. I checked local nurseries for plant sales.  HINT: Place the larger heavier pots where you will want them to avoid unnecessary lifting. Use a high quality potting mix and be sure not to plant too deeply, then fertilize and water to avoid root air pockets. 
The final touches to my paradise included some pots hangers (screwed into the wood from the rafters of the deck above) for hanging pots, and wrought iron leaf hangers made on my husband's forge in the shape of leaves and installed into the concrete wall. Did I follow my original plan?  
Overall my project was extended when I decided to add more shade plants, a water feature, and extra hard scape. I created variations in texture and color by using a variety of plant and hard scape material including river rock, red bark mulch, and cotton seed mulch. It was fun and I felt such satisfaction for my creative endeavor. I'd do it again!! Submitted by mgcrocks.
·        
·      

·   
·       
·     
·  
·    
·         

·         

Comments