Garden Planning Early/Late Spring Plantings

Lovely Look, White Tulips & Phlox
This time of year, I like to think back and reflect on how my garden looked this last spring. Gardeners are always making changes or working to improve their garden beds. Something about doing that task in the sultry heat of mid summer reminds me it will be cooler again some day....When I think about improvements, having continuous color production is at the top of my wish list. As I analyze, I break it down in two month  "plant variety color production" increments, asking what colors, textures, plant varieties look like as they unfold starting late March, April and into May/ early June. Kind of a early spring, late spring production list.

Giant Allium, foreground & Perennial Salvia
Keeping plant 
characteristics in mind when I think ahead about what I want to plant in the fall so I can have continuous color for next year's spring garden is fun for me when its too hot to work outdoors mid summer. The following are photos of a Reno County Master 
Gardener's home gardens that are inspirational and a good example of how to plan for continuous spring color next year. For more information go to http://hnr.k-state.edu/extension/info-center/how-to-videos/.
There is a series of K-State Research & Extension Horticulture How-to Videos that can be viewed by season listed to the right that can be helpful for designing your flower bed for next spring. Photos submitted by master gardener jjohnson.

Columbine comes in many colors & varieties. Easy to grow, try them all

Monardo, foregroud & Pink Yarrow. Roses in background
Dianthus & Tiger Eye Sumac pleasing color combination


Knock out shrub rose & White Alium

Pink Yarrow & Monardo (Bee Balm)

Color with impact. Tropical lilies.

Comments