Master Gardener in the Classroom



As Master Gardeners, part of our mission is to share knowledge.    
One of my favorite ways of sharing gardening
knowledge is with children.

I recently had the opportunity to present a program to 40 second grade students at the Allen School in Hutchinson.  These two classes had been learning about pollination and that was the topic assigned to me.

7 and 8 year-olds do not sit long, so I based my presentation around activities, interaction, and lots of questions.



I created jigsaw puzzles of both pollinators and flowers.  Each student assembled at least one of each. I brought examples of three flowers and three pollinators (a hummingbird, a bee, and a butterfly).  After a very animated discussion, puzzle assembly, matching pollinators with flowers, we had lively questions and answers.  We discussed becoming a Master Gardener, and I said goodbye to the future gardeners and quite possibly some Master Gardeners! Submitted by mastergardenerboozc.

Comments