Garden Timing for Kansas Grasses



Seven years ago, I decided one clump of the Maiden grass needed divided, as it had grown thin in the middle with the edges spreading outward.  With trusty sharp shooter in hand, long sleeved shirt and leather gloves, I naively strolled out for what would become a battle of the roots...my nerve roots and the harder-than-steel grass roots! I dug, I pried, I dug some more, I went after a crow bar, I went after concrete blocks, at some point I had nearly half my garden tools surrounding the clump of grass.  Finally, with a crunch loud as Kansas Summer Thunder, the roots let go, half the clump came loose and I was on my end in the middle of the yard. Smiling, I grabbed the ax, and cut the giant clump into 5 smaller ones.  On the opposite side of the yard, near the fence, was the perfect spot and was the perfect home for my liberated grass. I dug holes, planted, fertilized, stood back and beamed at a job well done.Year in and year out the grasses have been a joy.  Cut them back in March, by mid-April they are sprouting and all summer they sway in the breeze creating an oasis on the hottest of days.  Fall, they turn brown, provide hiding places for birds.  Winter they are covered with snow and provide a high bird perch while swaying in the Arctic blasts. Now is time to cut the grasses back, and once again I am finding the centers have grown thin.  So, this year a portion will be rehomed and the balance will be replanted along the fence until the 7-year itch hits again. Remember, early spring is the time to cut decorative grasses back...but remember...be sure to wear long sleeves, eye protection and leather gloves! Submitted by sogrowsmygarden.

Comments